I had a goal when we moved to Texas to finish my 72 hour kits in 2007, my year supply in 2008, and start a garden in 2009. I figured if I gave myself a year to complete each goal separately, I would avoid stressing myself out. It worked pretty well. On the other hand, I cannot say that I was able to avoid stressing Brandon out. I have a tendency to over-do things....
When 2009 rolled around I was gung-ho about starting a garden. I grew up always having a garden and my parents would assign us kids time where we would have to go out and weed it. I hated those gardens! But I sure loved all the strawberries and peas we picked from them! I knew I wanted to do a raised gardening bed because that is what we had in our yard in California. I remember helping my dad construct it. Turns out, that is really the easiest way to garden in Texas - due to the soil. I just love it when expectiations meet reality so well. What can I say?
Unfortunately for Brandon, this "pet project" of mine, turned into a BIG project for him. What a good sport he is. It took several Saturday's of digging up the grass, spraying round-up on the ground, laying down newspapers to inhibit weeds (or grass), and THEN beginning construction on the actual gardening bed. Not to mention we were interrupted several times during the construction by DAYS of stormy weather.
Then Brandon had to lug about 35 40 lb bags of top soil and manure to ensure healthy planting soil. Brandon was working pretty late every night, so he had to do part of the work when he would get home later in the evenings. So a bit of the work was done during twilight, when he could see, but not very good. One bag had become home to a huge colony of fire ants. While Brandon was pouring it into the bed, he kept wondering why his arms hurt and when he finally looked down at his arms, they were covered in ants!
After the gardening bed was complete, it was my job to plant everything. You can see who had the better end of the deal here... You can also see why Brandon is not usually excited about "My Projects."
I have a notoriously poor green thumb, so I just had to hope that things would actually grow. We planted straight from seeds, except the two tomato plants you can see on the far side of the bed. It took over a month, and even a second round of planting, but I now have more plants sprouting up then I have room for in my bed and I even had to throw some away!
Now we just have to hope that I can keep them alive until they actually produce something! If any of you have special tips for bugs or fertilizing, please let me know. I really have NO idea what I am doing.
When 2009 rolled around I was gung-ho about starting a garden. I grew up always having a garden and my parents would assign us kids time where we would have to go out and weed it. I hated those gardens! But I sure loved all the strawberries and peas we picked from them! I knew I wanted to do a raised gardening bed because that is what we had in our yard in California. I remember helping my dad construct it. Turns out, that is really the easiest way to garden in Texas - due to the soil. I just love it when expectiations meet reality so well. What can I say?
Unfortunately for Brandon, this "pet project" of mine, turned into a BIG project for him. What a good sport he is. It took several Saturday's of digging up the grass, spraying round-up on the ground, laying down newspapers to inhibit weeds (or grass), and THEN beginning construction on the actual gardening bed. Not to mention we were interrupted several times during the construction by DAYS of stormy weather.
11 comments:
It looks great! Thank goodness for husbands. I have been encouraging Brett to build me a garden box as well and it is just about finished. We should get the dirt for it on Wednesday. There is no way I could do all of that and watch the kids, not to mention I'm kind of whimpy. Mine will be a lot like yours, so here's to our first gardens! Hooray!
Way to go Sharee! I plan on starting a garden next year. I have even less experience than you (we didn't garden growing up), so I'm a little worried. But I've made some great middle aged friends in the area that are good plant people so I'm going to pick their brains.
Yay! I'm glad your garden is going well. I love checking up on mine and also hoping that we'll actually get a harvest. :)
All I can say is that we already have bugs in the garden. Something is really trying to enjoy my green beans. It seems like we literally have spray for bugs each week. I hope your garden is more bug free than mine.
What did you decide to plant?
SO proud of you for doing it! It's something I've always wanted to do. I've got the same terrible green thumb! Good LUCK!
Nice job!! I want to do that, but I don't know where to start. My yard is terrible for a garden! Did Brandon make the box too? Maybe you guys can write down what you did and I can follow your instructions!!
Lee is going to have to quiz Brandon on how to do it! It looks great!
Sharee it looks great!! I'm struggling starting my garden now. It's hard with Logan being so busy. Brandon is great to help you get started! I love the step by step pictures!
Go Sharee Go! You are such a rockin Mama. I'm so glad to have a fellow gardener in the family. Branson is such a good sport. I'm so proud!
Good job on the garden!! You are lucky that you live in a warmer climate so you can have a longer growing season... we just barely planted ours last week, and I hope it will survive the ups and downs in the weather. My only advice is every year that you plant tomatoes, make sure you replenish the soil with Nitrogen (I think you can buy pellets) because the tomatoes deplete the soil of nitrogen. And don't plant pumpkins and squash anywhere near each other or they cross pollinate and you get something not very good to eat. ENJOY YOUR GARDEN.
You are such an inspiration Sharee!
Hey Sharee,
I kind of used a modified version of the bag tutorial at http://homemadebyjill.blogspot.com/2009/03/spring-tote-tutorial.html. I made one like she showed with the dish cloths and then the next time I just cut two rectangles of fabric and folded them in half to estimate how big I wanted the bag to be. Then I added the handles instead of the belting that she used in the tutorial. Hope that helps and that you guys are doing well. Good luck with your upcoming new baby!
Post a Comment