Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Feeling like I need a vacation...

And there is not one in sight, well, maybe 3 and a half months in sight (sigh). So instead, I am going to re-live the one Brandon and I took in March, just the two of us (sigh... again). Boy that sounds nice right now.
I opened my last present at Christmas - a surprise from my awesome hubby: a Carribean Cruise with my hot man and NO KIDS at the end of March. His wonderful sister, Nikki, had graciously agreed to watch our kids for a WHOLE WEEK. And to top it all off, Brandon had set it up to go with my best friend, Becca - who still lives in my hometown in California, so I don't get to see her near as often as I would like. It was a week of perfect-ness.
I missed my babies a lot, and found myself trying to bring them up in every conversation with anyone we met (I was THAT annoying person). But Nikki took wonderful care of them and even sent us email updates during the week. That was the best. thing. ever. We didn't spend any money on the cruise ship, except for internet to check on my babies. Money well spent.
Checking in
First formal night (notice sun burned legs... nice)Our WONDERFUL cruise partners
My illegal photo of a photo...
Enjoying the ruins of Chacchoben in Costa Maya (our first stop)We had SO much FUN with Becca and Clif. We stayed up late playing games and spent way too much time eating and eating.... and then taking breaks to eat some more
It's gotta be the best friend thing...
Paradise Island (aka Rhoatan, Honduras - our second stop)
I was least excited about our Honduras stop UNTIL we docked in the bay (picture posted above) and I realized it was everything I had ever hoped for a tropical island get-a-way. It was beyond beautiful! So we spent the day at the beach (white sandy beach with turquoise water, actually)
...and trying out the local food in a make-shift cafe under a house.
We almost ate where all the other tourists were eating: over-priced greasy hamburgers (bleh). But why eat expensive American food (that we could eat all day on the boat) at a tropical island when you can eat delicious authentic food for 1/3 of the cost? Much better choice. We just had to do a little searching to find it.
Third stop - Cozumel. We spent the day snorkeling. It was AMAZING.
First Dive We Saw:
-small spotted eel
-starfish
-huge Monterrey green eel (this was pretty freaky - but there is something about a fearless guide that makes you much more fearless)
-nurse shark
Second Dive We Saw:
-three baracuda (we swam about 10 feet over the top of them)
-a sea turtle (my fav)
Third Dive We Saw:
-I "fed the fishes" after the first two dives, so I was in the boat and able to take pictures of Brandon during the third dive
-a second sea turtle
When Brandon saw the second sea turtle, I ran and jumped in the water with just a mask so I could see it too. Of course we also saw tons of fish, coral, etc.
We realized after our THIRD day on excursions that our sunscreen was not water-proof...
Our second formal nightMy favorite towel creature
It was so nice to just spend time reading, sleeping, relaxing, eating, talking, playing games, laying out - it almost reminded us of life before kids... almost (half my heart was still in Texas)
It was just so nice to be reminded of why we fell in love.

8 comments:

Jenna said...

Good for you guys! I think vacations without the kids are a must even though they're missed :)

Chrystal Wilcox said...

that lookds so fun! I especially laughed at the non-waterproof sunscreen. You look so much more red by the time of your second formal! It is always good to spend some time alone. I am totally feeling you about needing a vacation asap

MyPremierDesigns said...

LOOOOOVVVE IT!!! I totally feel ya girl what a good trip- by the way I totally thought it was hilarious you would always ask other people if they had kids so you could talk about yours!!!! It was so you:) so funny we had fun didn't we ????besides the sunburns and seasickness I think we did alright!Time for another one...well after april:)

jenhatch said...

I know the feeling!! Your trip looks AWESOME! I'm so glad ya'll made it out of town without the kids! That's huge!! Least you've got the pictures to go back and look at when you're having one of 'those' days!!

Nikki said...

Ohhh, this makes me SO jealous. I want to go too!!

Bill and Aftin said...

Looks like you guys had so much fun and Sharee, like always, you look gorgeous!

Kiera said...

I love cruises!! I am glad you had fun! You are so pretty!

Karin said...

So fun, so glad you went. So jealous!! Wish we could all go together.