Friday, April 17, 2009

Advice about Boys...

I was just commenting on my friend, Chelsey's, blog - who has a darling little boy, and asked her for her advice on boys. This is when I realized that LOTS of my friends have little boys and there is a wealth of knowledge there that needs to be tapped.

You have to understand, there were six kids in my family - five girls and one boy. The boy happened to be the oldest, just 15 months older than me. So obviously I never got anything figured out about how to take care of a boy. It is not like the inexperience made me NOT want a boy, because I totally always wanted one. I am just a little nervous about doing things right. Not that you ever do EVERYTHING right....

I need advice about raising a baby boy. I have heard things like: they potty train different, their diaper changing is different, even doing their hair and picking out their clothes is different! I need all the help I can get from all you mom's who have done it before me and learned things I need to know. So, please SHARE THAT ADVICE!!

10 comments:

partypooperspoyfair said...

Boys are awesome! At first when I had Hayden after having Callie I thought it wouldn't be as fun to dress him but it is just as fun. I liked to dress him like a little man and I had a lot of fun with it. Just buy what you would get for Brandon-put him in little ties and suits and I always made sure they had a belt on because I feel like that completes an outfit for boys. I love dressing the boys better than Callie because they wil wear whatever I put on them. Callie from a very early age on argued with me all the time about what she wanted to wear. We never agreed on anything so I feel like I didn't get to enjoy dressing a little girl for long.

Curt Hostetler said...

Sorry, I have no personal experience in the boy-raising department either, but my boss is potty training his son right now and told me about a tactic that I'd never heard of. Drop a cheerio in the toilet and have him aim for it!

And yes, I hope that picking out clothes and doing hair for a boy is different than for a girl :)

(Nicole) The Very Hungry Caterpillar said...

Hey Sharee, thanks for all comments. the nursing cover tutorail I found was at this site:
http://photojulia.com/2008/02/how-to-make-a-nursing-cover and
http://littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-to-make-nursing-cover.html
good luck. and congrats to you too.

Unknown said...

My experience is that your boys are your boys. They love you in a different way than your girls. They need you in a different way. I don't know how to explain it exactly. Potty training was hard with them, sleeping was harder (still is sometimes) and they play rough. But they are also so tender and sweet. Jared gave me a shoulder rub last night because my muscle was sore. He loves to sit and hang with me. Ayla and I do too but she really prefers the company of her dad. I don't if that helps but that's been my experience.

Shawntae said...

So Far-boys are just tougher, they're so different you don't have to figure out one or the other they force you to treat them differently! You'll do fine!!!

Heather said...

Well Brennan is 6 months now and I love him (of course, but boys are fun). I often think that if I were to have a girl what would I do. I think you'll figure it out as he grows and be a great mom! Brandon is there to help him be a man :)

I personally believe it's the child. People can stereo type and say how one gender does things differently, but I think that it's in the child's personality that really decides how they behave.

Ha! So sorry, I didn't have any advice, but perhaps I will ask it of you if I ever have a girl. How exciting that you are getting closer to your due date.

MyPremierDesigns said...

oh my well as you know we are waiting to hear from candice what she is having -we are all hoping for a girl! cause we want an all girls club! haha so I am the last person to give you advice about boys! good luck! love ya!!

Carrie said...

Let him have his "rough play time." That's my best advice. You can't and shouldn't expect him to play gently and softly like Kyla. You can teach him that there are appropriate times for both kind of play, but don't try to ignore the fact that he will want to play hard. Boys are just more physical that way. They are truly a different kind of creature. Start looking into and thinking about outside play toys- stuff to climb, jump, dig, etc. Think large motor skills. Look into a mini trampoline for inside or something like that as well. They seriously just need to move, move, move.

Also, boys are a little more destructive. As a toddler and baby, Tyler wasn't bad. He was actually quite good, but I see in boys an element of destructive behavior and to be honest, I think it gets worse the older they get. So brace yourself for a little bit of unnecessary destruction.

Tyler is just at the age where he loves to wrestle and "play fight." It's been hard to help him understand when it's appropriate and who it's appropriate with. That's when you let Brandon take over. Up until I was getting big during my pregnancy, I loved wrestling and playing rough with Tyler, but at that point it just wasn't safe so we thought it was a good time to teach Tyler that he can't play like that with girls and other little kids. As much as I love playing like that with him, we feel like it's probably a good age to teach him that that's not how boys treat girls....plus, to be honest, he's getting too rough for me. That's when dad takes over and we've taught him that he can play like that only with dad. He knows that dad is for wrestling and mom is for cuddling. I jump in the fun every once in a while, but overall we've tried to start setting those boundaries of how to treat others- especially women. And if we ever have any sisters join our family, that will be the rule for them as well- 'no rough playing with your sister.' Some people might disagree with me on that, but once you see how rough boys can be, you'll see what I mean.

Boys are FUN! You are going to love this little guy. And you'll be a great mom to both your sweeties!!!

By the way, if you ever need me to watch Kyla for you, let me know. I know how things can get with all the doctor appointments. (I'm sure you're totally terrified of that idea now that I've told you how rough boys are, but really, Tyler is very soft and gentle when he knows he's supposed to be). We'd love to help out!!!

Kaytie Brown said...

Boys!! YAY! You're gonna love your little man. My big advice... ALWAYS have something to cover him up when you change him, or he'll pee all over his cute little face every time.

jenhatch said...

I'll need to think more on this... not a lot of huge differences come to my mind. Is that bad?! I hope I don't have a girly boy or a tomboy girl. Yikes. Obviously when they're little the pee can shoot up when you change them {I just made a wipe tent to cover him}.

The differences between MY boy and girl {because they're all different} is Nolan LOVES to pester. And it'll start EARLY! I don't know if it's just the Shayne in him coming out {he has 3 older and 1 younger sister that he LOVED to pester} Nolan LOVES to get Ava riled up and she rises to the occasion every time.

AND he's a little tougher then Ava is... and loves to be active and wrestle. Ava does too, but he's a lot tougher and can take more.

I love, love LOVE my little man. And I don't know if others out there agree, but there is a different love for my boy then for my girl. Neither is any more or any better, just different. Nolan is tender and can melt my little heart in a way that Ava hasn't figured out yet.

I can't wait for your little Cash to come - and to hear how it's different for you!!