Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Miracle Bottles

I took my baby to her 6 month appointment and found out that she fell from the 25th percentile in weight to the 10th percentile. She only gained 7 ounces in the last couple of months. She now weighs 13 pounds 4 ounces and I am not even going to mention her height because apparently she is one inch shorter than two months ago... I think someone tried to measure her a little too quickly and did a poor job. Needless to say, the doctor informed me that I should probably start supplementing her feedings with formula. It is not like I haven't tried that already.... I have tried before many times, but my baby just would NOT take the formula. We were stuffing her rice cereal full of it to give her more calories, but she would refuse a bottle every time. After my sister went through the same process with her little boy, she tried a certain brand of bottles - Gerber Nuks. I had tried four different bottles. I finally gave in and went and bought the Nuks and my little girl will NOW drink out of a bottle (as long as she is hungry) without a fuss! They are miracle bottles and I am now worrying less about my baby not getting enough nutrients. Thank you Gerber for that bottle! AND they are cute too! Extra bonus.

9 comments:

Susan said...

Those are cute bottles. I am glad you found something that worked. There were a few times that Owen was measured incorrectly with our pediatrician in Provo. The doctor re-measured and got the correct number.

Karin said...

They measured Sienna an inch shorter last time too so the doctor re did it when she came in. Sienna had dropped % in heighth but she sure didn't shrink! Stupid nurses.

I'm glad she'll drink from a bottle now. My worry is finding a bottle that is safe. I love my avent bottles and so did Sienna but apparently they aren't good for babies either. I heard there aren't any in the stores that are and you have to get special ones online. Arrrrg.

I can't wait to see pictures from your weekend. I hope you had fun.

Karin

Alyssa said...

I'm glad you found something that works!!!

Brandon and Erica said...

funny how a bottle could make all the difference :-).
So glad she is eating healthy though! she is a cutie!

Unknown said...

yeah you found something for the most part! i hope she starts a liking to it so she can beef up a little more! she is so cute though!

jenhatch said...

seriously, the difference a different nipple makes, huh!? I mean the bottle one! It took me buying a few different bottles before I found one that my kids would take too. But we ended up with the Nuk's too... but they have gotten LOTS cuter!

And please, each time I take Nolan in for a well-check, the nurse comes back into the room to remeasure Nolan because apparently he's shrunk too. A little more accurate people!!!

Shannon said...

Camille told me about this, I am so glad she is eating from those bottles, that just makes life so much easier and less worrisome!

Yvonne said...

Those are seriously the BEST bottles - they are actually the only ones I've used for Mason since he was born. My sister bought them for me for Christmas (you know, it was the week he was due anyway) and she hadn't done too much research on them, just that how they were designed they made the baby work harder to get the formula - almost similar to breastfeeding. Anyway, I'm sure these bottles are the reason why Mason has always been willing to take a bottle.

Ashley said...

When I have babies I hope you can remember all the good little tips like this one about the NUK bottles. Maybe you can make a list of helpful tips (like you did with food storage and your trip to Hawaii-which I have both saved on my computer and plan to use one day). Maybe you should write a book called, "Helpful Tips from Sharee" - I'd buy it! Plus, you would probably like to remember some of your own tips when you have more kids someday...oh, I got it... you could call your book, "The Instruction Handbook for Parents" or "Owner's Manual: A Guide to Children" and then give me 50% royalty rights because I came up with the name. Ha! What?! You don't think that sounds like a good idea?