Monday, October 6, 2008

After MUCH Delay... My Five Quirks....

I have been specifically tagged by a dear friend to list five of my quirks. I know this shouldn’t be such a big deal, but I have really been thinking about this for some time. I didn’t want to under or over expose myself. Isn’t that the nature of quirks? They are just embarrassing. I thought I would try my friend’s approach and ask my husband – that resulted in lots of suggestions that were either 1) not actually quirks (I had to define it several times for him) or 2) so embarrassing that I could not believe he would want me to post anything like that on the world wide web. The end result with that approach was failure. So I went back to the drawing board and came up with five quirks that I can safely rely on to complete my EXPOSÉ, but not more than you or I can handle.

1) Unfortunately, I inherited this weird allergy from my mother’s side that when triggered, causes my throat/ears to itch so bad that all I can think about is scratching it. The problem is… it itches on the inside of my throat/ears and how do you scratch that? So I have developed this method where I use air and my tongue to relieve the itch and it makes a funny noise that my husband and close friends refer to as the “pig noise” – now how is that for something borderline too embarrassing to share. And yes, my husband knew about this before he married me. The rest of the quirks I am sharing will NOT be this crazy.

2) I like everything to be even. I have shared this before, but I really don’t like odd numbers. I think five kids is the perfect number, except the fact that it is odd; so I will have either four or six.

3) I am addicted to Carmex. I have been for years. I know it doesn’t smell good, but I just keep using it anyway. I cannot escape my lips craving for this monster of a chapstick. They now have a strawberry flavor that is a little slice of heaven for those with a Carmex addiction.

4) I have speaking dyslexia – that is not an official term, as far as I know of, I just made up a name to go with my weird inability to communicate correctly with other human beings. I think this problem is most apparent to my husband. Of course, I blame my problem on the fact that my brain is always thinking of 10 things at once, so why would I not mix in weird words or phrases that have nothing to do with what I am talking about, but everything to do with the other 9 things I am thinking about?

5) I don’t sing Kyla the normal nursery rhyme songs that a normal parent does. I make up all of the songs I sing to her. Believe me, I do not have any sort of talent, and in most of the songs I sing the same thing over and over again - they don’t make any sense and they drive Brandon crazy. I don’t know why I do this. It is really quite ridiculous. But I can’t help it. Now, when I sing Kyla normal nursery or primary songs, she has no idea what to think, because she is not used to hearing actual songs written by actual people with talent.

*The “rules” of this tag state that I must tag three new people. So I am going to tag Jayne, Karin, and Susan.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for tagging me i will have to think about this on for while like you. But i am totally addicted to carmex too! yeah i am not the only one. jonathan thinks it gross and that i am weird. but i love it.

Ashley said...

Haha...this is so funny! I totally forgot about the ear itching, but now that I've been reminded it makes me miss you! I think quirks are endearing...not embarrassing.
And I wish I could hear one of your made-up nursery rhymes songs. I bet they’re awesome!

Sometimes Jared will sing along to songs at the tops of his lungs and really get into it. And if he doesn’t know the words, he’ll just make some up. I think it’s really cute even though I always act exasperated and tell him the correct words!

Lisa M said...

I loved the songs, the odd numbers, and the carmex. Chad Sometimes will do that itching thing with his throat during allergy season and Myla did for a few weeks when she said her throat hurt. Too funny, I thought they were the only ones.

Chelsey said...

I don't think I remembered you having an issue with odd numbers... that is so funny. Eric is the same way. He won't let me leave the volume on the TV or the temperature in the car on an odd number.