As previously posted about, it has been a while since I have been able to report on anything. My husband is off playing basketball, so I have finally decided to get all my posting caught up in some short, but sweet, explanations.
In the middle of October we headed up to Lake Ray Roberts for a camping trip with our fun friends, the Browns, by the time we got there it was already dark... and cold. Luckily the Brown's had selflessly started a fire, instead of setting up their tent while it was light out, so that we could eat dinner right away and stay warm.
I have decided it was much easier to take Kyla camping when she was 5 months old. We tried to sit her in her stroller, but it was about 10 minutes before she was letting us know, in no uncertain terms, that she wanted to be out and about exploring. It took less than a second to find her on her hands and knees - as pictured above- with her hands in the dirt picking up sticks and rocks (but only rarely trying to put them in her mouth, thank goodness). She was not happy as to why she couldn't take more than one step on such uneven ground without falling over. She was dirty! Good girl.
Thanks to the Browns, we got one of our very rare, family pictures. Yay!
I was up so frequently during the night worrying about Kyla being warm enough that I was still exhausted in the morning; but, as usual, it was needless because she didn't wake up even once until 7:30 am. We are so spoiled. Kyla sleeps like a champ! The adults stayed up late playing Settlers of Catan. So much fun!
This was one of the ah-ha moments when I realized that I am now the responsible (sometimes not responsible enough) parent instead of the kid just hanging out and having fun. My family camped A LOT while I was growing up and I LOVED it. I never realized how much time it took to pack everything up, get all the dishes, food, utensils, water, amenities, etc. needed for a successful camping trip. It took me ALL day to prepare - meaning I spent more time preparing, almost, than we spent camping. And when I got home the next day I spent a few hours cleaning it all up. Gone are the days of carefree, family excursions - which I have now realized are exhausting. But so worth it. I have an even greater appreciation for my parents (if that is possible) for ALL the excursions they planned when I was growing up - without EVER complaining once - for me and my five siblings so that we could build the family memories that are so very precious to me today. I wouldn't trade those times together for anything in the world.
This was one of the ah-ha moments when I realized that I am now the responsible (sometimes not responsible enough) parent instead of the kid just hanging out and having fun. My family camped A LOT while I was growing up and I LOVED it. I never realized how much time it took to pack everything up, get all the dishes, food, utensils, water, amenities, etc. needed for a successful camping trip. It took me ALL day to prepare - meaning I spent more time preparing, almost, than we spent camping. And when I got home the next day I spent a few hours cleaning it all up. Gone are the days of carefree, family excursions - which I have now realized are exhausting. But so worth it. I have an even greater appreciation for my parents (if that is possible) for ALL the excursions they planned when I was growing up - without EVER complaining once - for me and my five siblings so that we could build the family memories that are so very precious to me today. I wouldn't trade those times together for anything in the world.
3 comments:
the last picture is especially adorable. so cute.
I'm so jealous. I want to go camping so bad. I guess we'll just have to wait until all of Casey's tests are out of the way.
that last picture is hillarious! I recently read an artical in the ensign talking about how much work it is for the mother to prepare for camping, but how important it is to do those types of experiances because of the memories you give to your children. So true.
Post a Comment