Friday, April 18, 2008

Permission to Freak Out

Last night I was in the bathroom, watching my baby, and getting ready to head out for a friend's birthday dinner when I heard some sirens going off. We have a fire station right behind our house so my immediate thought was "Oh no, someone is in trouble." However, after the noise didn't start fading away into the distance, I started to get concerned it might be something else... I ran outside and was surrounded by sirens. Tornado sirens. This is the point where I started freaking out.
My husband had chosen to work late yesterday and even though it was getting close to 8:00 pm, he still wasn't home. I watched as the sky started turning black and I fumbled over the numbers on my phone trying to call him, but not succeeding because, as mentioned above, I was freaking out. All those nights of planning, when I was 7 years old, what I would do in a natural disaster flashed before my eyes and my first thought, after how I was going to save my little girl, was how I was going to save my clothes (because that was what I worried about when I was 7 - I didn't want to have to worry about not having clothes on when I got rescued!) After I realized that was NOT important, I started worrying about government documents, passports, licenses, social security cards, and then I worried about my lap top and all of my pictures (yes, I LOVE my pictures).
You have to understand, I grew up DEATHLY afraid of natural disasters. I used to lay awake at night worrying about a volcanic eruption that would destroy my house with hot lava. After watching Wizard of Oz, I was never the same again. My man conveniently mentioned tornadoes were an issue after we decided to move to Texas. Obviously, since I am writing this post, everything was OK. The county next to us was on tornado warning, but we were just on "Severe Thunderstorm Warning." When my husband got home he casually told me that he'd been through many such drills without ever having been in a tornado. Like THAT is going to ease my anxiety. Everyone - get your year supply!!!!

10 comments:

Carmen said...

Shane is sooooo related to you. He is constantly worrying about what natural disaster is going to overtake us next;and unluckily for us he is one little kid who has regularly watched the news since he was 3, so he knows them all.

Lindsey said...

Yikes! That would be so terrifying! There are a number of people from my old ward who have moved to Texas and I have heard about the tornadoes there. You are in for a treat, and hopefully you will just enjoy the "warnings" like Brandon and no real tornadoes. It is definitely wise to be prepared with food storage and other essentials - even if we don't all live in a tornado land!

Unknown said...

yep! totally understand!!

Heather said...

A few weeks after we moved to Madison 2 years ago, there was a tornado warning here too! It was 11 at night and we didn't know what to do. I think we're supposed to go down in the basement but we stayed inside watching the updates on the internet/weather. Apparently the tornado did touch down and did some damage to an area about 20 minutes south of us. It was the most rain and wind I have ever seen. It wasn't really a friendly greeting into the state! I'm glad you're all okay.

Brandon and Erica said...

Scary! But, I do have to say that your recount of the events was quite entertaining. :-)
Glad you and your cute little family is safe!

Unknown said...

Don't feel too bad babe, Jason had us all in the bathtub that night because of all the hail we were getting. Emilie freaked out a little, but Ivy thought it was fun. I'm not too crazy about the Texas weather either.
Sara

Unknown said...

I understand your freaking out but you learn to temper it with a little logic. We take a lot of comfort in knowing we have 72 hour kits and we have boxes with our important documents. That would really help in keeping you calm.

Matt, Karin, Sienna, Sadie & Tanner said...

I've been watching the news here and wondering how bad it was at home. I didn't know you got so worried about it though. I'm glad everything is alright. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! We're excited to see you next week.

Karin

Unknown said...

Hey thanks for comin over last night. I really appreciated having the company while I was madly finishing my project. I only stayed up till 1 am and am so glad its done. Hope your day went ok.

Chrystal Wilcox said...

That is a crazy experiance. It really makes you think. So glad you shared it. I probably would have been more afraid of the bugs you talkabout in Texas...I do not do big bugs!!