Friday, July 25, 2008

Yummy

I only have one live plant in my house, the rest are fake - there are two reasons this is good: 1) I do NOT have a green thumb, even though I love plants, I always end up killing them and 2) Less places to keep my baby away from. The one exception is my "love palm." This could be a post in and of itself, but I'll just give the gist of it here. Many of you know that Brandon and I met before his mission for our church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, while we were freshman at BYU. I wrote him while he was gone. Brandon served his mission in Southern California and I just happen to L-O-V-E palm trees - I have loved them since I was a little girl. Knowing this, in one of his letters to me, he sent me a palm tree seed, which one of my siblings lost only hours after I opened the letter. A few weeks later we found a little palm tree growing in our front yard (I lived in Northern California):
So we found out where the seed had run off to. The little seed has grown into a beautiful small tree which I keep with us indoors (I don't want to plant it outside and then have to leave it when we move) because I am the biggest sentimentalist alive. I affectionately call it our "love palm." Anyway, having the plant around proves to be a bit of an adventure when it comes to the baby. I let her wander around where ever she wants downstairs while I make food or clean the kitchen with the exception of getting into the garbage can and the dirt around the palm tree. Unfortunately, several times a day I still run into this:Most of the time I can catch her before she gets into it too far and I only have to wash off her hand and tell her not to get into the dirt (like she understands....). These two pictures where taken a few weeks apart. In the top picture, luckily, she had her binki in her mouth and I just caught her with a dirty hand. Yesterday, I was not so lucky...

11 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh, my goodness! She is so cute and that is so yucky! I love the re-vamping you did to your blog, by the way.

Lisa M said...

I love your "love palm". The dirt in the face is too funny.

Alyssa said...

Ha ha! That is a priceless picture! I love the ring of dirt around her mouth. Just keep being persistant...she'll learn it's not to touch (or eat). :)

Susan said...

Oh, too funny! Especially since Owen hasn't tried to eat dirt yet. I had my mom bring me some baby palm trees from CA but I think they are dead already. My thumb is even less green than yours.

Ashley said...

YUMMY!! I don't think I've heard that story about the love palm before... that is SOOOOOOOOO cute!! Good lucky keeping it away from the baby now that she knows how GOOD dirt tastes :)

jenhatch said...

That's SUCH a cute story! Well, both stories for that matter. Kyla and the LOVE PALM - I LOVE it. And yeah, I'm the same way - BIG sentimentalist myself!!

erica said...

ahahahaha that is the cutest picture! your baby is so adorable. i can't believe kids eat dirt. gross! (i know i probably did the same thing as a kid hehe) i love the love palm story. it's so sweet! i'm glad you found the tree after your sibling lost it.

Carrie said...

Oh my gosh, how cute is that dirty little face?!?

caseytanner said...

that's a really cool story

Anonymous said...

It is so crazy seeing Kyla starting to get into everything. I can't believe how cute she is. I just love her.

I love your new background and your family picture is precious. You guys have a beautiful family.

We love you!

jamie said...

I heart your love fern!