Saturday, January 9, 2010

Minus One Organ

I have been awful at blogging for, well, about the last six months.... there is no way I can go back and cover everything I have missed, but I decided I could try to do some highlights.

In OCTOBER - after a half a dozen gall bladder "attacks" and several follow-up phone calls from my doctor urging me to get it checked out - I finally went in to have an abdominal ultrasound. They discovered I had gall stones and recommended I have surgery to remove my gall bladder. I was shocked at first, but have since realized this is quite common. Sorry, no pictures - I really had intended to take some. After changing surgeons the day before my surgery was scheduled for the first time and having other, what I consider "divine guidance" - the surgery went very smoothly the next week on Friday morning (Oct. 23) at 7:30 am. I left the hospital by noon, and was at church two days later on Sunday. Friday was pretty awful. I didn't want to eat anything and felt like I was going to throw up the whole day. Anesthesia is brutal. I tried running errands on Saturday, that was overdoing it a little.... I have had two babies so I guess I over-estimated what my body is really capable of.

In the end, I have four abdominal scars and I am a bit temperamental when it comes to eating fats these days. Other than that, all the excitement is long gone and I can't say I was sorry to see it go.

No comments: