Monday, July 23, 2012

Nauvoo, IL

Nauvoo was beautiful, just like its name means. We arrived in the evening and thought we would be able to catch a few things, but everything closed at 5pm!
We captured this picture of the temple as we drove in. So amazing.
Luckily, we ran into a group of sister missionaries who encouraged us to do a few of the things that can be done when everything is closed. So we walked the "Trail of Hope" that evening. The Trail of Hope is the road that the wagons took down to the river as they left Nauvoo to head West. Ever few feet stands a plaque with a pioneer story/quote on it. It was neat.

This was my favorite, and, as a mother, I teared all up
At the edge of the river

Showing how the wagons crossed the water:

After the Trail of Hope, we went to see Joseph, Hyrum, and Emma's burial site

Also right there was Joseph Sr. and Lucy Mack's burial site
The temple at night
My one big regret was being unable to go to the temple with Brandon while we were there because we had the little kiddos with us
From the back
Brandon took the kids swimming when we got back to the hotel - yay!
This is how it goes when you sleep with kids
I have ancestors from both sides who lived in Nauvoo. Unfortunately, I only knew about my Mom's side while I was there. I checked out the two plots that belonged to Charles Shumway.
Plot #1

Plot #2

Kyla with the horses... of course
We took a wagon ride around Nauvoo - I really enjoyed that


See the temple poking out of the trees behind Kyla?
The saints would have their Sunday meetings in little copses of trees like the one pictured below.
Trail of Hope in the afternoon, the temple is far in the background
Brigham Young's Home
This is how Brandon spent a lot of the day: wrestling kids to keep them from running around and touching things. Exhausting. Nauvoo was wonderful, but not for little kids...
Printing Office
Post Office
The Red Brick Store
Joseph Smith's study/office - Second Floor of the Red Brick Store
Heber C. Kimball's Home
The Nauvoo House
Joseph Smith's House - before moving into the Mansion House
Naturals??
Exhausted after a long day at Nauvoo - I love how he sleeps with his hands behind his head and his elbows out. How is that comfortable?

2 comments:

Alisha said...

I love your posts! I hope I can get there someday soon to see all those sights. I miss you and your beautiful little family!

camilot said...

Hey Sharee,
Our family is moving to Nauvoo as soon as our house sells. But Matt is already there working at the temple. If your still in the area, you could get together or bribe him to watch your kids while you and the hubby go to the temple. Your family is super cute.
Love,
Cami
Your long lost cousin